Organizing Conferences for the First Time
Conferences are great avenues to openly express your views regarding your industry. There are various categories under this formal event, some of which includes medicine, journalism, trade, sports, and education. This requires extensive consultation and discussion by delegates.
Don’t Get Lost in Preparation
We know, it sucks to have to organize an event in such a relatively short notice, but this doesn’t mean that you just have to cave in that easily. Don’t do that and simply check this list so you can have a good idea where and how to start.
- Choose a conference center with good natural lighting.
If this is not possible, go for a venue that can provide adequate lighting equipment. Plus points if the venue is highly accessible to the attendees.
- Have a systematic check-in area for your attendees.
This way, the attendees will not waste time just getting inside the event venue. Also, display simple instructions just outside the venue. This will help make the registration and the check-in processes much easier for everyone. Assign some staff outside the check-in area to provide assistance to the attendees.
- Provide a lounge area where the attendees can relax.
Keep this spot as close to the event room. Pieces of furniture like fluffy couches and ergonomic rocking chairs will not only help improve the ambiance of the area but can also act as good icebreakers for those who will take part in the event.
- Serve some refreshments like coffee, tea, water, and biscuits.
If you have already booked catering services to cover the main meals, you may ask them if they can serve some refreshments as well. This may be included in their separate packages. Ask them for quotes to check out the inclusions of their services.
- Boost brand awareness some more by creating merchandise with your company logo.
Go for notebooks, pens, keychains, button pins, or bookmarks. Let your imagination run wild without necessarily breaking the bank. Make sure the items are useful for most groups of people who will attend the conference. In the long run, these items can provide a long-lasting impact on your attendees long after the event has finished.
If you don’t have time to do this, consider getting a photobooth team to handle this part. In some cases, you may also have to get a printing team to produce something that the attendees can bring home after. Ask the printing department to include your brand logo in the final output.
- Conferences that work have a reliable communication system with the security team and the rest of the staff before and during the event. Also, brief the photo and video team on what to expect before and during the event. If possible, provide them with a list of shots and clips that you want to be captured for full documentation. Make sure to properly delegate the tasks that need to be carried out before and during the event. If you don’t have an idea how to do this, let the conference coordinator do this bit.
- Invite some key people over as speakers.
Preferably, these speakers should be in the position to properly explain important concepts about the industry that you’re in. For starters, university teachers and/or experts for large companies can be potential great speakers for the conference program.
- Don’t forget to mingle with the promoters in the stands and booths.
Establish rapport with them. You will never know when will be the next time you’ll get a chance to work with them again.
Wrapping It Up
- Attending conferences is a good way to study your chosen industry, your target market, and your competitors.
- Make the most out of this event by ensuring that everything is in place.
- Take this chance to collaborate with promoters, startups, and industry runners.
Also published on Medium.
- Watch the magical Scottish drummers known as Clanadonia playing
- The DJ that makes your crowd go wild and react. Rhianne Saunders @DJ Reaact
- The 3 things you need to know when choosing the best vendors for your event
- The future of event planning: 3 things you need to know
- How to Make Your Event Venue Unforgettable for Guests